sábado, 9 de agosto de 2014

6 months of sonrisas, sadness, and sun

Today I've been here for 6 months. Half a year. It feels like I've been here forever, but on the other hand I feel like I don't know the city or culture at all. It's been a hell of a rollercoaster, both mentally and physically, and I still don't quite understand when everyone says this city is the best. 

I decided to tell you some things I love about this city, and what I don't like. Let's start with the things I don't like. :) Also, blogger and its formatting hates me, so forgive me extra lines and whatnot.

NO ME GUSTAN


Tourism. I should be used to this, after living in Reykjavík for 5 years and having spent a nice amount of time in Stockholm, but... Goddammit, the tourists are everywhere, blocking the streets and pretending they own the place (mostly in metros). I don't like the fact that Barcelona is such a tourism-oriented city, I heard it wasn't like that until 1992, when Barcelona hosted the Olympics.

Don't get me wrong, I like being a tourist, it's just the big crowd of "ooh! aah! look at that! take a picture!" that I can't stand, especially if I'm in a hurry. And man, when people think I'm a tourist too... it pisses me off. Almost every day there is at least one waiter who tries to talk to me in English and be all furbo and make me pay a lot for shit. So annoying. I need to learn "no thanks, I'm from here" in flawless Catalan.

La Rambla. Photo from here.

Homesickness. I'm so fricking homesick all the time, it's not even funny anymore. 


Some local people. People in Barcelona don't know how to walk. It's ridiculous. They walk so slowly, they're always in the way, and in shops they block the whole fucking aisle - and don't move even if they see that someone's trying to get past them! Sometimes, when going up on an escalator (ohhh morning metro), they stop at the end of the escalator and just stand! When there are people trying to get off the escalator! Ahhh I'm getting so angry just by thinking about all that. A few weeks ago I told about this in our weekly Esperanto meeting, and one of the locals said that she likes to walk slowly and look at things happening around her. I agree, it's nice, especially in a city like Barcelona, but people should stop taking the whole fucking sidewalk. 

And local oldtimers who yell "rubia! rubia!" ('blonde') make me want to set them on fire. I need to learn "why, thank you sir for pointing that out, I'm blind" in flawless Catalan.


Catalonia vs. Spain. Catalan flags, Catalan flags everywhere. For those who don't know, Barcelona is the capital of an autonomus community called Catalonia. Apparently there will be a referendum on independency of Catalonia this November. I'm mostly annoyed when people ask if I'm allowed to vote and if I'm gonna vote, and my opinion about the independence in general. I don't know if I'm allowed to vote, and if I were, I don't think I would, because I don't know enough of the whole subject. I would like to get informed, but in a neutral way.

Picture from here.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of my Erasmus time in Sardinia, Italy. There people were really strict about the fact that Sardinia is not Italy (Sardigna no est Italia), and once in a bar in Cagliari some drunkard came to talk to me because I asked people to write something for me on an Italian flag. He told me that I shouldn't be doing that, "because that's the flag of Italy and you're now in Sardinia, which is not a part of Italy", and this was in more-or-less English, if I remember correctly. I think I rolled my eyes a few times and told him in Italian that I know very well that this is the flag of Italy, and I happen to have a big Sardinian flag at home, but I don't want to write on it because I like it so much. The guy went silent and my local friends were like ooooo, burned! I was so proud. Here people sometimes corrected me if I said something about me being in Spain (no, this is Catalonia, not Spain!), and now I'm really careful with that. It's annoying. And frankly, my friends think I live in Spain. I thought I was moving to Spain. Most people abroad see Barcelona as a city in Spain. So, gente, please shut up if I, a foreigner, mistakenly say that I live in Spain.

Catalan independence flag. Photo from here.


Mañana, mañana. Or actually the whole "why do things the easy way when you can do them the hard way" attitude. It took me 3 weeks to get internet at home, because "the contract wasn't available in the system" or "your data is not in our system" or "there are some technical problems, go to the store" - and when I went, they didn't see anything in the database. So many problems. People sending you to different places to get some pieces of paper. Webpages telling you to go to these random offices because your SSN or whatever number is not in the database. People not slowing down when you tell them to slow down a bit with their Spanish or Catalan. I'm already crying at the thought of having to call somewhere to book a doctor's appointment. Oh, and in some restaurants you can't pay separately. Or you can only pay in cash, but nobody bothered to put up a sign.

Sundays. Well, I hate them in every country (except in Sardinia because of 4 giunchi). Here everything is closed on Sundays.

The whole language thing. People keep asking when I'll start speaking Catalan. I understand maybe 95%, but I'm not gonna start talking unless people stop laughing when I do that. And then people ask why I want to learn Basque instead of Catalan. Well, because I don't like the sound of Catalan. It sounds too much like Portuguese, and I've never been a fan of its sounds. It's mostly the neutral vowel, the schwa, that I don't like. And uff, if I refer to Spanish as "Spanish" and not as "Castilian"...

I will learn Catalan this fall, but I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as Euskara.

Let's fight for our language. Pic from here.

The humidity. When it's over 30°C (~90F) with 90% humidity... nuff said. No me gusta.


ME GUSTAN


Mi barrio. I've been living in Guinardó for 2 months now, and I love it! It's a few kilometers from the city center, and I've mostly seen old people here. This is not a "cool" place like Gracia, but I'm really happy here. The streets are really steep, and when I walk downhill to the metro I can see the towers of la Sagrada Família and the Mediterranean Sea. It's not as fun if I miss the last minibus at 9pm, and I have to walk more than one km uphill...

Landscape view of Horta-Guinardó, from here.
From where I live.
Same place.

from my barri bus, usually it's packed with oldtimers.
My metro stop, Alfons X.

My apartment. I live alone in a cozy apartment with a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom. I haven't taken that many pictures yet, but... here's my bathroom and my dishes! :D (My dear landlords, if you read this, the old shower curtain is clean and safe in the wardrobe.)

My shower curtain makes me happy. :)
Ok, some pink stuff might have found its way in there...
...or into my kitchen. Yes, that washing liquid smells like raspberries. <3

My job. I never thought I'd find a full-time job in my field, where I don't have to translate myself, and I don't have to take the job home with me. Of course, like in all jobs, there are situations where I just sit down and shake my head, or want to set some people on fire, but I really like what I do. And I really like our team of quality managers and in-house translators, they are one of the reasons I get up every morning. <3 Ok, they're also a bit mental.


Tapas. My my my, so good. My favorites are ensalada rusa con atún (salad with potatoes, peas, olives, carrots, tuna, and mayo, probably something else too) and txistorras (spicy sausages from the Basque country).

Photo from here.

Our weekly Esperanto meetings. The Catalan Esperantists are also a bit mental. Usually we just have tea or beer and chat, but sometimes we play word games or take a look at some old things someone has found in a random place.

Our choir. The main reason why I understand Catalan - everything in Cor Ariadna happens in Catalan. I believe I'm one of the youngest members, and the only foreigner. Our conductor Júlia is extremely talented, and we sing in several languages. Such a wonderful group of people.

From our concert in the end of May. From here.

These are the biggest things I do and don't like. Stay tuned for more blabbering.

2 comentarios:

Paula dijo...

Siru, too sad to read that you don't like so many things. I really get many of them, though, like the people not knowing how to walk in the streets/metro, the humidity and the flags issue. Especially that one. I, personally, am not against nor with the Catalonian indepdency thing, I don't have an opinion either, but there's one clear thing, wether they like it or not: Catalonia is Spain. At least today, and at this right moment. Catalonians carry a Spanish passport and a DNI, so yes, they are Spanish. If they become independent, gjörid svo vel, you can say you are Catalonian and NOT Spanish, but for now... it is how it is.
If any time you are up for some discussion, just bring that up :p

Unknown dijo...

I think this will get better with time... I might still be suffering from cultural shock. But I'm glad someone understands my opinion about this whole Catalonia thing!